Saturday, January 20, 2007

Marguerite Ryan Cellars

I discovered Marguerite Ryan's Pinot Noir at my local wine shop about a year ago. I went back and picked up two more bottles today. They still had some of the Ryan 2003 Peay Vineyard Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir, which was a fairly low production of only 196 cases produced. They also had a new shipment of Ryan 2004 Birkmyer Vineyard Wild Horse Valley Pinot Noir, and only 52 cases were vinted. I was told the Birkmyer might not be made again, and was made in honor of Jim Birkmyer, who passed away recently.

There is no website for Ryan Cellars, but I found some background on the winemaker at Weimax, a wine retailer in Burlingame (scroll to bottom of page).

We tasted the 2003 Peay Vineyard last night. It has a nice round berry flavor, is balanced, good finish, overall a very pleasing Pinot. I would serve it for any Pinot drinkers and doubt anyone would be disappointed. I would rate it a 88/100. Downside for this wine (like many Pinots) is its not very affordable at $48/bottle.

No comments: